If you are a strawberry lover, then this strawberry frosting must be tried! Made from creamy vegetarian butter, ripe strawberry puree and organic powdered sugar, it is a trio of taste, texture and sweetness!
We made this recipe specifically for the vegan gluten-free strawberry cake and it turned out great! We want to use fresh strawberries (rather than dried strawberries or cooked strawberries) to retain the vibrant fruity flavor. This does taste like summer happiness on a spoon. In addition, only 3 ingredients, 1 bowl and 15 minutes are required. Let us show you how it is done!
How to make strawberry frosting
It all starts with fresh, vibrant strawberries, because they are rich in antioxidants and rich in vitamin C. They are mixed into a puree and beaten with softened vegan butter.
This results in a pink creamy consistency.
Finally, we add powdered sugar to increase the sweetness and ensure a spreadable frosting consistency, which is perfect for all your cake and cupcake needs!
We hope you like this strawberry frosting! It's:
- & Addictive!
US Customary – Metric
- 1/3 cup vegan butter, at room temperature (we like Earth Balance buttery sticks here)
- 1/4 cup strawberry purée (~1/2 heaping cup or 80 g of halved, fresh strawberries as recipe is written // blend until smooth)
- 3 ½ – 4 cups organic powdered sugar
- Add softened vegan butter to a large mixing bowl and use an electric hand mixer to beat until fluffy — about 1 minute. Add strawberry purée and beat again until fully incorporated, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Begin adding sifted powdered sugar 1/4 cup (28 g) at a time (sifting reduces clumps). Mix on low speed until each 1/4 cup is well incorporated and thick yet spreadable. We found that 3 ½ cups (392 g) was the sweet spot (literally)!
- Spread frosting on a fully cooled strawberry, vanilla, or chocolate cake and enjoy! Use immediately or store frosting in the refrigerator up to 5 days or in the freezer up to 1 month.
*Recipe as written makes ~2 cups of frosting.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with the lesser amount of powdered sugar.
Nutrition (1 of 16 servings)
- Serving: 1 (two-tablespoon serving)
- Calories: 137
- Carbohydrates: 26.6 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Fat: 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 1.7 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 41 mg
- Potassium: 9 mg
- Fiber: 0.1 g
- Sugar: 26 g
- Vitamin A: 0 IU
- Vitamin C: 3.3 mg
- Calcium: 1.2 mg
- Iron: 0 mg