This salad is full of all the best elements of a traditional Italian appetizer. Pickled artichoke hearts, cherry tomatoes, salted olives, sliced salami, pickled peppers and creamy white mozzarella cheese are combined with crispy romaine lettuce and rich oregano vinaigrette to create a vibrant, super satisfying bowl, in which no two bites are the same. This is a non-cooking dinner, perfect for now, whether it's too hot to turn on the stove, or you are looking for a lazy dinner to enjoy the outdoor time.
The Best Salami for Antipasto Salad
I prefer to use unsliced dried salami instead of pre-sliced salami, which means I can cut it into thin slices, but not too thin. Cut it into 1/4-inch slices to add a delicious salty flavor to this salad, and the paper-thin pre-sliced salami will tip over under the heavier salad ingredients.
How long does Antipasto Salad last in the fridge?
Once the seasoning is added, this salad is best eaten immediately, although leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for a day. That being said, you can stir the seasoning at least five days in advance and store it in the refrigerator.
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 1 medium romaine lettuce heart
- 4 ounces unsliced dry Italian salami
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes (about 10 ounces)
- 8 medium pickled pepperoncini peppers
- 3/4 cup pitted mixed marinated olives
- 1 (12-ounce) jar marinated artichokes hearts
- 8 ounces ciliegine (mini cherry-size mozzarella cheese balls)
- Chop 1 clove of garlic and place it in a large bowl. Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon of dried oregano, 1/4 teaspoon of coarse salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper. Stir well.
- Prepare the following ingredients and add them to the bowl when finished: Cut 1 medium-sized lettuce heart in half lengthwise and crosswise into 1 inch wide ribbons; halve 4 ounces of dried Italian sausage lengthwise, remove the casings, and cut crosswise into a 1/4 inch half moon shape; halve 1 pint of cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes, or halve if large; stalks and thinly slice 8 medium pickled peppers; halve 3/4 cup pitted mixed marinated olives; and drain 1 (12-ounce) jar marinated artichokes and 8 ounces ciliegine.
- Toss to coat all the ingredients in the dressing. Taste and season with more kosher salt and black pepper as needed.
- Stir to coat all the ingredients in the dressing. Season and season with more kosher salt and black pepper as needed.
- Store: Although it's best to eat right away, leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 day.
- Sliced salami substitute: If you prefer, you can replace unsliced dried salami with 4 ounces of pre-sliced salami. If large, stack and cut into half moons or quarters.