Say hello to the summer avocado toast of your dreams, topped with vibrant pesto and sliced tomatoes! This is a whole new level of avocado toast. In just 15 minutes and 10 ingredients, you can enjoy a delicious breakfast or snack to celebrate the best summer. Let us show you how it is done!
How to make Pesto Avocado Toast?
Friends, it might sound simple, but this avocado toast truly is next level deliciousness! It involves:
- Your favorite bread
- Smashed avocado
- Basil pesto
- Sliced tomato
- And a pinch each of sea salt and red pepper flakes
First, let's talk about bread. We like hearty handmade sourdough, or gluten-free vegetarian options, New Cascadia Farmhouse Sandwich Bread is your best choice. We like to bake it twice for extra crispness (anyone else?).
When it comes to perfect avocado scoring, we recommend buying them when they are close to maturity, preferably at the peak of the season (spring and summer). They should feel soft to the touch, but don't squeeze them too hard, otherwise brown spots will appear near the skin.
We have found that it is best to let the avocados ripen for a day or two at room temperature and then transfer them to the refrigerator where they will stay fresh for a few more days.
Next up: pesto. Inspired by our Easy Vegan Pesto, this slightly modified nut-free version retains only the essentials, but somehow it is even better.
We tested putting the pesto directly on the bread and on the avocado. Because it can make the bread wet, we prefer to put a layer of avocado between the bread and the pesto (avocado can save it)!
We end it with tomatoes to get a fresh, full-bodied, natural sweetness, which is the pure magic of avocado's richness. A pinch of sea salt extracts more flavor from the tomatoes. A pinch of red pepper flakes adds mild heat, making this avocado toast a land of "wish to eat every day". You really have to give it a try, friends!
We hope you LOVE this avocado toast! It’s:
- Quick & easy
- & SO perfect for summer!
Pesto Avocado Toast with fresh tomatoes
Summer on toast: Smashed avocado is topped with zesty vegan pesto and thinly sliced tomatoes. Just 15 minutes required for this plant-based meal or snack!
US Customary – Metric
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh basil (large stems and buds removed // ~3 ounce or 85 g package as recipe is written)
- 2-3 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (plus more to taste)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp water (plus more as needed // or sub additional olive oil)
- 1 slice bread of choice (vegan, gluten-free as needed // we like New Cascadia Farmhouse)
- 1/4 – 1/3 large avocado, sliced (ripe and green)
- 2 Tbsp basil pesto (ingredients listed above)
- 1-2 slices tomato (heirloom for best flavor // or baby cherry tomatoes)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- PESTO: To a food processor or small blender, add the basil, garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and sea salt and blend/mix on high until a loose paste forms.
- Add olive oil a little at a time (streaming in while the machine is on if possible) and scrape down sides as needed. Then add water a little at a time until the desired consistency is reached — a loose, scoopable sauce that’s not too thin or watery.
- AVOCADO TOAST: Toast bread in a toaster or in the oven until golden brown. Top with sliced avocado and use a fork to smash. Then add 2 tablespoons pesto (per slice of bread) and spread it over the avocado with a fork or spoon. Add sliced tomatoes and sprinkle with a pinch each of sea salt and red pepper flakes. Enjoy right away!
- Pesto can be made in advance and used for avocado toast throughout the week. Store leftover pesto in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. After that, pour into an ice cube tray, freeze, and store up to 1 month or more. Thaw at room temperature or in the refrigerator overnight.
- *Recipe as written makes enough pesto for 3 slices of toast.
- *Pesto slightly modified from our Easy Vegan Pesto.
- *Inspired by Picnik in Austin, Texas.
- *Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with whole wheat bread and with 2 tablespoons pesto per slice.
- Serving: 1 slice
- Calories: 221
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Protein: 9.1 g
- Fat: 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 6.9 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 438 mg
- Potassium: 512 mg
- Fiber: 6.5 g
- Sugar: 2.6 g
- Vitamin A: 1419 IU
- Vitamin C: 13.2 mg
- Calcium: 112 mg
- Iron: 2.2 mg